2016 was different things for different people, but no matter which way you look at it, it was definitely a year full of fandom. From the moments that made us laugh to the moments that made us cry, here's our reaction to everything 2016 brought us. In addition, join us as we assemble our wishlists for 2017! Major spoilers must be highlighted to read. Like this: Happy New Year!
Best of 2016:
- Karen Page and Frank Castle in season 2 of Daredevil. They were the last two characters I expected to team up, let alone develop such a complicated and emotional relationship.
- Watching Pacific Rim for the first time and falling in love with every single character—but especially Newt.
- Reading a bunch of Batman comics, including The Court of Owls, A Death in the Family, and Black Mirror.
- Discovering adorable webcomics like JL8 and creepy podcasts like Lore.
Hopes for 2017:
- That the fourth season of Sherlock will be better than the Christmas Special.
- The Punisher and The Defenders. May they both be amazing.
- That Thick as Thieves by Megan Whalen Turner will be just as good as the other books in the Queen’s Thief series.
- That (almost) everyone will get a happy ending in the last season of Turn.
2016 was exhausting. I don't think I've felt rested since David Bowie died, but there were still some decent things to come out of it.
Moments I loved in 2016:
- Deadpool: Yes, there were a couple moments that were over the top, but the film was overall faithful to the character and it was a heck of a lot of fun to watch. It made for an awesome Valentine's Day romp (at least for me).
- Rogue One: I am still in shock and reeelliinngg with feelings about this one.
- More Rick Riordan: Thank you Uncle Rick for making this year a tiny bit better.
- Hamilton: I am so glad that my new favorite musical caught on fire this year. Can we just take a minute to clap for Lin-Manuel Miranda for having a damn fabulous year? I mean the guy is producing the TV and film adaptation of The Name of the Wind! Then there's Moana!
- Stranger Things: Suddenly Brian and I buying each other D&D dice is a lot more hip than it was earlier this year...
- This is Us: Oh my goodness, I loved the fact that this year introduced me to the Pearson family.
Regrets about 2016:
- I did not watch Civil War until this week when it came to Netflix.
- I wish I had read more, this was a year of adjustment for me.
- Suicide Squad could have been so much better. I am grateful that it was made and lead to a Gotham City Sirens movie deal, but you can tell it got hacked with a machete in editing.
- So many people died this year--celebrities and those I knew in real life. I'm still having trouble wrapping my mind around many of those deaths.
Hopes for 2017:
- Beren and Luthien: Apparently we're getting a new Tolkien novel this year, fingers crossed!
- Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2: My favorite bunch of a-holes is are back and ready for action. I am excited to see how the story line ties into the greater MCU.
- Spider-Man Homecoming: You go, Tom Holland.
- The Last of Us 2: *heavy breathing* I am so nervous about the feels trip this sequel game may induce.
- Logan: I loved the comic, and I am interested to see what this adaptation is going to look like.
There are so many more things coming out in the upcoming year that I'm excited for, books that will potentially be published. (Here's looking at you George R.R. Martin, Pat Rothfuss, and Scott Lynch; don't worry guys, I'm being patient.) At this point, I'm just excited for the new year to start and hopefully clear out some of whatever leftover bad juju 2016 has hanging around.
Favorite Moments of 2016:
- Finally getting to see the Broadway version of Newsies when it came near me on tour. (Look for a post about this, come late January or early February!)
- Finding Neverland came into the area (and my life) on the 15th, thanks to the tour. It was pure magic, and I can't wait to tell you about it very soon!
- I finally got a replica of the jersey from the first Mighty Ducks film (with 2015's birthday money) after wanting one since 1992!
- It being announced that a live performance of Newsies would be filmed in September before the tour closed in October. And learning that several original cast and former touring Newsies (aka "Toursies") were coming back to join the then-current cast to do so! (Look for it in movie theaters: February 16th, 18th, and 22nd!)
- A smattering of news about The Silver Chair film!
Hardest Moments of 2016:
- Learning that the brand new musical Tuck Everlasting closed after just 28 previews and 39 performances. I know how long it had been in planning and am still highly disappointed that I'll never get to see it live. The cast was great!
- Losing so many great entertainers that have inspired us in so many ways.
Wishlist for 2017:
- I'm hoping to hear news of a fourth season of Girl Meets World, instead of a cancellation.
- To see more wonderful live theatre than I got to see this year (and I saw quite a bit!).
Bethany BaldwinHonestly, my fandom interest was a bit whacky in 2016. I bounced all over the place, got behind on some shows, and started others that are long behind, so my list may reflect that. First, let’s revisit my hopes for 2015.
- My hopes for Civil War were fulfilled. It wasn’t depressing! (All the people I love survived).
- As far as I can tell, Snowbarry did not happen on The Flash, but that’s probably okay.
- Jasper and Monty survived season three of The 100, though I didn’t watch most of it.
- We still haven’t seen the new companion of Doctor Who, so I will add last year’s hope to this year’s.
- Behind on Supergirl but some of the plotline was getting more interesting. Still no word on the Winn front, though I’m behind.
- FitzSimmons happened! They’re an official couple. Hurrah.
- Behind on iZombie as well. Hope that forgiveness happened.
- Now, the live musicals. There’s a lot of controversy surrounding them, but I actually thought Grease Live! and Hairspray Live! were pretty good. I’m a theatre major and my opinion may still not count for much, but they were certainly better than Sound of Music Live! and Peter Pan Live! (I’m still mad about them messing up Peter Pan.)
Now, this year.
- Han Solo’s death (I didn’t see The Force Awakens until 2016)
- Glen Rhee’s death on The Walking Dead. I stopped watching the show a couple seasons ago, but the knowledge of one of my favorite characters dying was still rough.
- Death of Lincoln and HIVE.
- Half of Scarlet Heart, a KDrama with much heart-rending.
- Ant-Man and Spider-Man in Captain America: Civil War were amazing.
- Speaking of Spider-Man, the Spider-Man: Homecoming trailer. Eep!
- Young Justice finally getting its long awaited third season. So ridiculously excited.
- The inclusion of Ghost Rider and Aida in Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. is pretty interesting.
- Stranger Things! Amazing.
- I watched Lost. Yep. I’m so behind. But I watched it, and I adored Charlie Pace.
- I got back into Korean dramas this year. Scarlet Heart ripped me apart, but I couldn’t look away. I also discovered the perfect man in Park Bo Gum from The Moonlight Drawn by Clouds.
- Ramin Karimloo’s casting in Anastasia: The Musical. I really want to see it on Broadway, but it probably won’t happen.
- Everything I’ve seen relating to Beauty and the Beast. I’m on the edge of my seat for that one.
- If Young Justice season three comes out in 2017, I hope it will have the same feel/animation/actors/etc as the first two seasons. Please.
- Stranger Things: I’m so excited for season 2. I really want Eleven to be okay in every sense of the word, as well as the rest of the gang.
- Moon Lovers: Scarlet Heart: Ryeo: It’s unlikely, but I hope there is a season 2 or that some of the bonus material I know was filmed will be released to provide some closure on that whopper of an ending. Uhg.
- Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: I hope May is okay. And I hope her and Coulson become a thing, maybe. And I hope Yoyo and Mack become a thing. And I hope Fitz and Simmons stay a thing. Wow. Also, I hope we see some more of Robbie Reyes and that AIDA doesn’t kill everyone. Looking forward to the rest of the season. xD
- I can’t wait for Spiderman: Homecoming. Spiderman has always been one of my favorite supers, and I’m excited to see him portrayed as younger than the previous incarnations. Tom Holland is great.
- PLEASE please let Beauty and the Beast be good. Please.
- Dark Matter: After some shocking moments last season, I hope the crew will all stay safe (and alive PLEASE) for season 3. Because I can’t take more sadness.
- Going to see Rodgers and Hammerstein's The King and I at a movie theater! (Thanks for that, Fathom Events.)
- Listening to Needtobreathe's Hard Love with my little brother.
- Discovering Sufjan Stevens in time to play his album Silver and Gold all Christmas. (I know, I'm dreadfully behind the times.)
- Finding movies like The Cameraman and City Lights, which helped open the door to my latest fandom: silent movies.
- Naturally, the slew of celebrity deaths this year took a toll. It was especially hard losing one of my favorite authors (Harper Lee) and one of my favorite actors (Alan Rickman) both in the same month. And of course, who's not still sad about Anton Yelchin?
- Missing Benedict Cumberbatch's version of Hamlet for the second year in a row. He performed it last year at the Barbican in London, and it was simulcasted in movies theaters all over the US. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to attend, so I was excited to hear about the encore screening scheduled for this November. That is, until something came up at the last minute and I still didn't get to go!
- I'm kind of bummed that Michael Weatherly left NCIS. Sorry, but this Bull character just doesn't sit right with me.
Hopes for 2017:
- I hope that none of the other actors I like die in 2017. Ian McKellen, take care of yourself. That goes for you too, Geoffrey Rush.
- I hope that the new live-action Beauty and the Beast will be as great as it looks so far because deep down, I'm still a little five-year-old girl who loves Belle.
- Neil Gaiman has a book retellings of Norse myths coming out in February. I'm looking forward to reading that.
- SINGIN' IN THE RAIN IS COMING TO THE BIG SCREEN IN JANUARY! (Thanks for that too, Fathom.)
Favorite Moments of 2016
- The CW’s 4-part super-ultra-mega-awesome heroic crossover.
- Wonder Woman kicking butt in Batman vs Superman.
- Star Trek Beyond being wonderful and fantastic and just amazing.
- Also celebrating Star Trek 50 was fun.
- Meeting Marissa Meyer (twice!!!) and Leigh Bardugo.
- Crooked Kingdom was everything I didn’t know I wanted and everything I did want. Also, waffles.
- Doctor Strange and Fantastic Beasts were both magical, and I’m in love.
- Tyler Hoechlin as Superman in Supergirl. (I’m still crying.)
- Finishing the Library Wars manga series. (Leave me to die.)
- Reading through the entirety of Les Miserables and loving it.
- Kamala Khan (Ms. Marvel) officially becoming an Avenger.
- STRANGER THINGS ruining my life because of its awesomeness. Also, waffles.
Worst Moments of 2016
- Rogue One making me angry for being sad and painful.
- Remembering Anton Yelchin, Kenny Baker, Carrie Fisher, and so many more.
- Laurel Lance’s death on Arrow.
- Steve being forced to choose between Tony and Bucky in Captain America: Civil War. (Ouch my heart.)
Wishlist for 2017
- The Tangled TV show will have the perfect blend of humor, music, and spirit like the movie.
- DEFENDERS. I can’t even.
- Star Wars Episode VIII will be even better than The Force Awakens.
- DC won’t screw up the Justice League or Wonder Woman (or Lego Batman) movies.
- Beauty and the Beast will be enchanting but also bring something new to the tale as old as time.
- Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 will make me laugh and cry and want to sing and dance.
- Attack on Titan season two will be just as fantastic and follow the manga chapters!
- I won’t die from waiting for all these new book releases!
- Stranger Things season two will be just as amazing, mysterious, hilarious, and scream-worthy as season one. And that we will find out what the frick frack is going on.
- DON’T HURT SHERLOCK!
- Stars Above: This was such a wonderful collection of stories to finish up The Lunar Chronicles. This is one of my all-time favorite series, and this book made me smile so much.
- Captain America: Civil War: While very different than I expected, it was still a good venture back into the MCU and seeing the characters in a totally different situation than usual. There are so many things I’m still noticing each time I watch it!
- Doctor Strange: Definitely a new favorite hero and MCU movie! So much fun.
- Marathoning all the Middle-earth movies: And with the exception of The Battle of the Five Armies, all extended editions. Definitely recommend doing this if you’re a Middle-earth fan!
- Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales: The POTC movies are one of my absolute favorites (often second only to LOTR), and so I’m eager to see what’s in store with this one. I’m not sure what to expect, but I’m hopeful for a good story, if a little bit anxious as well.
- Beren and Luthien: This is one of Tolkien’s most iconic stories, so I’m really excited to pick up a copy of this version.
- Thor: Ragnarok: I’m still upset about that ugly new logo. I hope we get a lot of answers in this movie and that it’s a worthy installment to the Thor trilogy. ;)
- Into the Badlands season two: I had no intentions of watching this show when it premiered but the intense and twisty plot made it one of my favorites. I’m hoping the second season is just as good.
- The Abominable Bride broke up the infamous Sherlock hiatus, and we got new content to suffer over during the break.
- Uncharted 4 came out and I spent a good week with Nathan Drake. I got to see how his story ends and, potentially, the beginning of his daughter’s adventures.
- Naughty Dog announced the sequel to The Last of Us!
- Rogue One did amazingly well at the box office, so that means we’ll probably get an annual Star Wars movie (similar to the annual Marvel movies).
- There was no full season of Doctor Who this year, and I miss my crazy space uncle.
- Ghostbusters didn’t get half the kudos it deserved. We got a movie with amazing women being funny and doing science. Critics were too harsh, causing an already hesitant audience to stay away from the box office.
- The trolls who attacked Leslie Jones on Twitter can meet me behind the dumpster for a good ol’ fashioned rumble.
- No Man Sky was a huge disappointment.
- I just want Sherlock to stop crying, okay? Whatever happens in series 4, just let my son be happy. Keep him safe and out of pain.
- Star Wars has done such an awesome job at diversity so far. So for Episode VIII, I want some space gays.
- Speaking of Star Wars, they’re eventually going to announce some more movies for the coming years. Let’s get a woman director attached to one of them.
- I want the new companion to the Doctor to get the best characterization and story arcs. I want her to be well developed and three dimensional.
- Reading The Raven King (the final book in the The Raven Cycle). Deep questions were raised and phenomenal characters were fully developed. Everything was clever and beautiful. Make way for The Raven King, everybody!
- Reading Winter, the conclusion to The Lunar Chronicles. All of it was worth mentioning. The characters, the fairy tales, the candy! I so want this as a TV series.
- Reading the Percy Jackson series for the very first time. Rick Riordan, you are magic itself. Thank you!
- Falling in love with A Darker Shade of Magic and A Gathering of Shadows. I want Kell’s coat!! And I ship all the characters with each other. It was quite the awesome series.
- Reading Crooked Kingdom and having an avalanche of emotions over all of the characters’ problems. Seriously, they get out of so much trouble. I love them all. Can’t pick a favorite because it’s absolutely impossible.
- Seeing Marissa Meyer TWICE, meeting V.E. Schwab for the first time, trembling in wonder over Leigh Bardugo, crying tears of joy whenever I first spotted Maggie Stiefvater. Meeting all the authors at the YALSA symposium.
- After ten long years, I FINALLY played Final Fantasy XV... and wept like a five-year-old. I’m still not over everything that happens after Leviathan. The Chocobros are life! (It was also phenomenal to see Kingsglaive in theatres).
- Having Kingdom Hearts 1.5 and 2.5 announced on the PS4!
- Having the Kingdom Hearts 2.8 release date announced and hearing that sick remix to "Simple and Clean."
- Watching Digimon Tri in theatres. Oh, the nostalgia!
- Becoming enthralled with Stranger Things. I was even able to eat waffles while watching the first episode.
- Seeing Deadpool on Valentine’s Day. Surprised that it was even better than what I’d hoped.
- Loving Finding Dory more so than Finding Nemo. (Just trust me, it’s good.)
- Reading Caraval as a finished product. The ARC was charm and color and nightmares and hope.
- Reading A Conjuring of Light, the conclusion to A Darker Shade of Magic series. I swear, no one better die. I love ALL the characters too much (*whispers* all of them).
- Reading Thick As Thieves (a book in The Queen’s Thief series) and reliving the magic of it all. It’s been a long time coming. I’ve waited for you, precious!
- Kingdom Hearts 1.5 and 2.5 comes out. I’d love a collector’s edition too.
- Kingdom Hearts 2.8 comes out. We see Sora, Riku, Kairi, and others on Unreal Engine. There will be more information revealed. I will probably perish from the sheer beauty and complete wonder of it all. Oh, and I hope there’s a special collector's edition that includes a plushie dream eater or something.
- Experiencing Kingdom Hearts Orchestra: World Tour in New York City. Hearing Kingdom Hearts music performed by a full orchestra is a dream come to life. Plus, Yoko Shimomura and Tetsuya Nomura should be there. The world might end, and I’d be okay with that.
- Kingdom Hearts 3 release date. Okay, I at least want more information. Is that too much to ask? Holding out hope that KH3’s special collector's edition is a Keyblade. (Come on Square Enix, make my dreams come true!)
- Persona 5!!! Because... thieves! Besides, Persona 3 was an excellent game.
- Release of the Final Fantasy VII remake (part 1, mind you) I’mtooexcitedforthisrightnow!!
- Release of the Final Fantasy XV DLC!! It should include cutscenes featuring more about the characters (especially Luna!) and more on the world. OH! And I can’t wait for co-op with friends. I want to play as the Chocobros and (fingers crossed) as the female characters.
- Utada Hikaru’s song for Kingdom Hearts 3 is revealed! My heart might burst.
- More info on the Incredibles 2 and possible trailer
- More Digimon! YAY. Now I have the theme song in my head.
- More Sailor Moon Crystal because I can’t get enough of that series.
- Watching Blue Exorcist season 2! I mean, the manga is better, but I do like the fight scenes and getting to see everything come to life.
- Watching Attack on Titan season 2. Will we finally find out what’s in the basement?
- Reading more Blue Exorcist manga, woot woot! Thank goodness.
- Watching Beauty and the Beast live action movie. Please don’t mess this up! Though, I’m convinced that Emma Watson is Belle, so everything is fine.
- Hoping the Power Rangers movie doesn’t shatter my childhood into a million tiny pieces. You MUST be good.
- READING. I had barely read any books for the past few years until 2016. Then it was bam, full-force back into reading, and I have no plans to stop.
- This Is Us. It's incredible, everyone. Seriously.
- Stranger Things. It's one of my favorite things I've ever seen.
- Jane the Virgin season 3 was pretty good! I love this show and what it brings to television.
- America's Got Talent was fun to watch as always this year--congratulations, Grace Van der Waal!
- I got my sister into Hamilton, so that was a success.
- I read my first comics this year, and it was hands down amazing. I can't wait to read more!
- For my birthday, I got to see The Jungle Book, and I really, really enjoyed it (except I could have done without the monkey scene, honestly).
- Later in April, I got to see Newsies on tour, which was an awesome experience.
- This was the year I finally read Harry Potter for the first time, and that is hands down my favorite moment of 2016. It was incredible, and these stories have become so dear to me.
- Hunter and Bobbi leaving Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., only to have their spin-off show canceled.
- Civil War wasn't as painful as I thought it would be, except in the ways where I didn't expect it to hurt: Tony's characterization. After Tony's character was butchered in Age of Ultron, I was hoping Civil War would redeem him, but it appears that Civil War just made everyone hate him more, which really pains me. (Though, Tony Stank? GLORIOUS.)
- The Walking Dead. The deaths, yes, but just the show in general--it's taken a really big turn downhill, and I don't think I like where it's going. It's hard to see a show lose the spark that made you love it. I hope that spark can return.
- All the celebrity deaths this year--Alan Rickman, Anton Yelchin, and Gene Wilder especially.
- No death hit me as hard as Carrie Fisher's, though. Princess Leia was a role model for me. I guess you never realize how much you love certain people until they're gone.
- Debbie Reynolds' death was also rough because Singin' in the Rain was five-year-old Sky's favorite movie EVER (and it still is one of my beloved favorites).
- For no one else to die, fictional or otherwise.
- For a Black Widow movie (again, this will go on my list until we get it).
- For a Kamala Khan movie or TV show.
- For more representation within Marvel for people of color, women of color, disabled characters, LGBTQ characters, and characters of any background.
- For more representation, period, in YA novels and in all the television shows I love (and in the ones I don't). Representation everywhere.
- For Episode VIII to be amazing, and for all my theories to come true.
- For more Robbie Reyes on Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., and way more YoYo.
- For Fitzsimmons to be okay and stay okay.
- For Toby from This Is Us to be okay.
What were your highlights and lowlights of 2016? What's your wishlist for 2017? Happy New Year from all of us at The Fangirl Initiative!