Coulson, Hunter, and Mike rescue Fitz, then go for an awkward meeting with Ward and Kara (who are apparently now a Thing. And a strangely adorable Thing). Their goal is to find the new heads of HYDRA - Strucker (who we nerds know is the man who has the Maximoff twins, aka Quicksilver and the Scarlet Witch) and List. Both of them have been experimenting on powered people (including, we see, the poor pre-Inhuman backpacker, Ethan). Coulson is afraid HYDRA might have Skye, and tells Ward they need his help - under the condition that, once they're done, Ward lets the T.A.H.I.T.I. program wipe his memories. If he doesn't agree, Mike will shoot Ward.
With Mike posing as Bakshi's bodyguard, they get on a plane with List in an attempt to get the information they need. The team on the quinjet watches through Mike's cyborg eye as Bakshi slithers and slides his way around the conversation, and supposedly 'gains List's trust' by offering to hand over Mike as a present.
The team thinks that Ward and Kara have betrayed them, and the tension triples when they realizes that Mike has no intention of being given to anyone and is preparing to shoot everyone in the plane. Things cool down and they order Mike to play along. List tells Bakshi that they're on their way to a 'quantum entanglement site' - or, the last place they know Gordon was. They're tracking Gordon and hoping to get to Skye.
Then lines begin to get crossed - Cal begins to beat up Lincoln, but then tells Lincoln to protect Skye when HYDRA arrives (including Bakshi and Mike). Lincoln ends up fighting Mike, and Fitz ends up getting a glimpse of Skye through Mike's eye. (That was really fun to say.) Hunter is shot - but not killed - thanks to Kara, and Ward and Coulson plow through HYDRA attempting to find Skye. Fitz loses sight of Skye as Jemma hacks into and hijacks Mike's feed, and Jemma and May see Coulson and Ward fighting side-by-side.
• 'I give you my word as Director of SHIELD.' Why was that disconcerting? We know that Coulson's Director status is up in the air - is he lying to Ward?
• Seriously. HOW CUTE IS THE WARD/KARA THING? He bought her a CACTUS!
• How is Bakshi still thinking for himself? Like seriously. Either the dude's mental faculties are a lot stronger than we gave him credit for, or it just boils down to the fact that Ward can't brainwash people to save his life.
• Of course, another possibility is that Bakshi is still following Ward's orders...it's just a completely different set of orders than Coulson suspected. Now that would be interesting.
• This is tying in very well with Age of Ultron thus far; I look forward to seeing how they continue the tie-in up through the season finale! (During which I will cry, rock back and forth, adopt the fetal position, and probably write fanfiction.)
• If they hurt Gordon, heads will roll. I won't allow it.